100 Fears and Phobias
One hundred fears and phobias that your players may get during their travels!
This list was submitted on the r/d100 subreddit by user GM_Ben! Thank you!
WHAT IS A PHOBIA?
A phobia is an irrational, intense, persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, or persons. A phobia can be classified as a disability in that it can affect a person’s psychological being and ability to perform certain tasks.
In clinical psychology, a phobia is defined as a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational. In the event the phobia cannot be avoided entirely, the sufferer will endure the situation or object with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.
HOW YOU CAN USE THIS TABLE
I created this list to help generate role-play flaws for my PC’s after they became involved in a dark Yuan-Ti ritual to summon the evil nightmare primordial Dendar, the Night Serpent and ended up spending time being tormented on the plane of Nightmares before escaping. The players made a WIS saving throw at the end of the encounter and that determined the number of fears/phobias they manifested.
Nat 1 = 5 rolls.
2-5 = 4 rolls.
6-10 = 3 rolls.
11-15 = 2 rolls.
15-20 = 1 roll.
20 or higher = resisted effect, no rolls.
Mechanically, the DM can impose the frightened condition on a player that experiences a situation involving their phobia or encounters the creature/person/object of their fear.
Narratively, the DM can help the fears/phobias come to life by describing how the character physically/psychologically reacts when it occurs. Some of the common real life symptoms associated with phobias: strong feelings of panic, dread, terror, and horror, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, trembling, breathlessness, excessive sweating, nausea, dry mouth, feeling sick, shaking, heart palpitations, inability to speak or think clearly or sensation of detachment from reality and death and an overwhelming urge to flee the situation and going to great lengths to avoid the situation/object that causes fear.
This table could also be used to help players generate unique FLAWS on their next characters, to assist a DM in creating more interesting NPC’S, or as an expanded table for varying degrees of MADNESS or consequences or SANITY loss.
I hope you have as much fun with this as we did at my table. Thanks and enjoy!
**\*WARNING!: The fears on this table range the full spectrum from humorous to somewhat sexual to extremely debilitating if not career-ending for some player characters. Use on your players at your own discretion.**\*
D100 – Fears and Phobias
- Panphobia – everything
- Acrophobia – heights
- Neophobia – new things/change
- Arachnophobia – spiders
- Autophobia – being alone/undesirable
- Thantophobia – dying
- Omphalophobia – belly buttons
- Ophidiophobia – snakes
- Pyrophobia – fire
- Mysophobia – germs/dirt
- Entomophobia – insects
- Xenophobia – strangers/foreigners
- Triskaidekaphobia – the number 13
- Agoraphobia – open/public spaces
- Scopophobia – being looked at
- Somniphobia – sleep
- Nyctophobia – dark/darkness
- Gymnophobia – nudity
- Zoophobia – animals
- Ligyrophobia – loud noises
- Hemophobia – blood
- Claustrophobia – enclosed/confined spaces
- Gynophobia – women
- Xanthophobia – the color yellow
- pedophobia – children/babies
- Gerontophobia – growing old/aging
- Chirophobia – hands
- Chiroptophobia – bats
- Herpetophobia – creepy, crawly things
- Hylophobia – trees, forests, woods
- Dysmorphophobia – phobic obsession with a real or imaginary body defect
- Gelotophobia – being laughed at
- Bogyphobia – boogeyman
- Algophobia – pain
- Aichmophobia – knives/pointed objects/sharp things
- Haptephobia – being touched
- Pediophobia – dolls
- Wiccaphobia – witches/witchcraft
- Astraphobia – thunder/lightning
- Sociophobia – social situations
- Atychiphobia – failure
- Phobophobia – fear/phobias
- Androphobia – men
- Oikophobia – household appliances/objects
- Trypophobia – holes
- Anthrophobia – people (being in company of)
- Emetophobia – vomit/vomiting oneself/others vomiting
- Glossophobia – speaking publicly
- Amychophobia – being scratched
- Ombrophobia – rain
- Decidophobia – making decisions
- Dishabiliophobia – undressing in front of someone
- Scoleciphobia – worms
- Spectrophobia – ghosts/phantoms
- Murophobia – rats/mice
- Coulrophobia – clowns/jesters
- Disposophobia – disposing of things
- Traumatophobia – being injured
- Ophthalmophobia – being stared at
- Megalophobia – large things
- Phallophobia – a penis (esp. erect)
- Angrophobia – anger/becoming angry
- Defecaloesiophobia – bowel movements
- Anablephobia – looking up
- Eisoptrophobia – looking in mirrors
- Numerophobia – numbers
- Phronemophobia – thinking
- Poinephobia – punishment
- Pteronophobia – being tickled by feathers
- Ephebiphobia – teenagers
- Dextrophobia – things on the right side of your body
- Kathisophobia – sitting down
- Leukophobia – the color white
- Symmetrophobia – symmetry/symmetrical things
- Pogonophobia – beards
- Heterophobia – the opposite sex
- Dystychiphobia – accidents
- Philemaphobia – kissing
- Athazagoraphobia – being forgotten/ignored
- Ablutophobia – bathing/washing/cleaning
- Demonophobia – demons/fiends
- Enochlophobia – crowds
- Erythrophobia – the color red
- Melanophobia – the color black
- Necrophobia – death/the dead/corpses/undead
- Oneirophobia – dreams
- Sexophobia – sexual organs/sexual activity
- Teratophobia – disfigured people
- Aquaphobia – water/the sea/the ocean
- Taphophobia – tombs/graves
- Herpetophobia – reptiles, amphibians or other similar animals.
- Teraphobia – monsters
- Maskaphobia – masks/costumes
- Sciophobia – shadows
- Mazeophobia – getting lost
- Hamartophobia – sinning
- Oneirogmophobia – wet dreams
- Gephyrophobia – bridges/crossing bridges
- Toxiphobia – being poisoned
- Kosmikophobia – end of the world/grand disaster/cosmic phenomenon
A FEW EXTRAS / SWAP OPTIONS
- Ailurophobia – cats
- Nosophobia – contracting a disease
- Aviophobia – flying
- Equinophobia – horses
- Genuphobia – knees/the act of kneeling